Sunday, November 23, 2008

Who's your knitter?

Not me, not today, apparently. However, I am on FIRE! I have completely cleaned not one but both of my bathrooms. I hate cleaning bathrooms; I think we all know why. But today, they are clean. Really clean. Also today, I made a loaf of bread to go with my applebutter! Yay! I have just shy of 8 cups of applebutter. I was really hoping to can it to take to my MOPS group, but I'm not going to have enough for everyone. Maybe I'll take some to share at brunch and package a jar with some other goodies as a raffle basket... that's actually a decent idea.

Applebutter:
6 pounds of granny smith apples, peeled/cored/sliced
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 Tbls cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves

Make apples into applesauce by simply microwaving until mushy.
Put everything into the crockpot on low overnight.
Blend until smooth.
All done. You can process it in your canner, or it will keep for a month in the icebox, indefinitely in the freezer.
This makes a nice tart applebutter. Use more white sugar (up to 2 cups) for sweeter applebutter.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Hi V

I wanted to let you know that my socks made it :) I am a little slower then you when it comes to the mail (sorry). I promise you will have socks before x-mas. Needless to say, you made my day! Nothing like an unexpected parcel to cheer someone up. Oh and I am going to try your receipe, I hear my SIL talk about apple butter all the time (shes from Oklahoma) can you use different types of apples, or are the ones mentioned the best to use.

KR said...

I love that you're making bread and apple butter... what a perfect time of year to do that. :) HUGS!!!

Kristin

Anonymous said...

WOW! If you're still on a roll, I've got a couple of rooms that could use a shine. . .